Win a Helle Harding Knife & Pay it Forward...
Would you like to win a free Helle Harding knife and help out another backpacker in the process? Well here is your chance. The next piece of gear from my closet that I'm going to give away is this gorgeous Norweigen Helle Harding (5oz) knife worth over $100. All you have to do to win it is to pay it forward by agreeing to send someone else a piece of your gear in return. You get this knife and someone else gets a free piece of your gear - two winners.
My normal giveaway rules apply (see below) but in addition to your multiple entries you must leave a comment stating what piece of new or lightly used backpacking gear you are willing to send to someone if you are chosen as the lucky winner. You will be responsible for the shipping cost of passing your donation on, but you will be getting a pretty awesome knife in return.
The 'someone' in this case will be the person with the number directly after you in the final drawing, so you won't know who to sent your gear to until the winner is announced.
About the Helle Harding Knife The Helle Knife company has been hand crafting knives since 1932 and enjoy a reputation for being one of Norway's finest knife makers.
Helle blades are created using a triple laminate stainless steel which, according to Helle, makes them almost impossible to break. The center portion of the laminated blade is made of a high carbon stainless steel, hardened to 58-59 HRC. This is the harder part of the blade that holds the razor sharp edge. The outside layers are described as a tough 18/8 stainless.
Nicknamed "The Helle Beauty", the Harding was designed by Erling Opstad in 1986 and has been in production ever since. The overall knife measures 8.5 inches not including the tang stopper on the end of the handle and has a 4-inch drop point blade. That sounds like a lot of knife but it feels oddly much smaller in my hand than I thought it would going by posted measurements alone. Here are the full specifications:
- Blade Length: 3 7/8 inches
- Steel: Helle triple laminated
- Grind: Scandi
- Overall Length: 8.5 inches
- Blade Thickness: 0.13 inches
- Handle Material: American Walnut, leather, curly birch
- Weight: 5.125oz (knife 3.375oz, sheath 1.75oz)
I wanted to specifically mention the weight of this knife because it feels and actually is very light weight for its size, which may be a surprise to a lot of people, it was to me.
Giveaway Rules - Pay Attention! As always, there are no restrictions on where I will send the winning item – so no matter where in the world you are, I’ll send it to you. This will be a completely random drawing using Random.org, except that you have the ability to earn multiple ‘entries’. Here are the basic rules of this giveaway:
- One Entry: Submit a comment below on this blog post stating what piece of your gear you are going to send to someone else if you win (remember you will be paying for the shipping) - that's it! No lengthy gear lists to provide, or reasons why you deserve to win. Only comments on this post count (in other words, comments that you left on my blog a few years back don’t count)
- Two Entries: There are three different opportunities to double on entries. In addition to posting a comment below, you can post a comment on the Facebook page that I created for this giveaway stating which piece of gear you are going to donate and ship. Or the second option is adding your Twitter account as a follower of Brian's Backpacking Blog and re-tweeting my original contest giveaway Tweet. By simply spreading the word, you get an extra entry. (If you’re already a follower of my tweets, simply re-tweet and you'll get credit).
- Three Entries: This is easy – just do all three of the above! Leave a comment on this blog post below, comment on my Facebook page entry, and follow/retweet the original Tweet on Twitter. The maximum I'll allow is three entries per person. Note: If you’re active duty military and deployed and are unable to complete the entry methods above, simply shoot me an e-mail and I’ll get ya entered in.
That's all there is to it. The deadline for this giveaway will be February 28th. Good luck to everyone!